AmyLand

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

First Skye Adventure

After we left Torridon we headed on to the Isle of Skye. That night, we stayed in Portree and had what could quite possibly be the worst meal any of us had ever had. Just...ewwww! Portree is pretty, a harbor town with a nice dock area, but it didn't twang any heartstrings with any of us. And it was in Portree where we encountered the only unpleasant Scots we met over the whole trip. Granted, 3 drunk guys in the doorway of a pub shouldn't be the basis on which to judge a whole town, but these guys were exceedingly rude. After our long and gorgeous hike in Torridon, though, we were just as happy to hunker down and sleep, rather than explore the nightlife. All in all, if you go to Skye, I'd say skip Portree...but don't skip any of the rest of it. It's absolutely lovely!
So, we slept, ate another full Scottish breakfast...they were still a novelty at that point...and headed off to explore Skye.


Not too far out of Portree, we came across this nice lady selling hats by the side of the road. Between Lauren and myself, we pretty much cleaned out her stock! She was lovely, and the hats are great...made on the Isle of Raasay by Hat Lady's sister and mailed over to Skye to sell to the tourists. :) I bought several, but still haven't decided what to do with them. And, even with the exchange rate, the price was good.




A bit further down the road, we came across this man. He was just sitting there, at a pull-out, reading his paper on the edge of a cliff. He didn't acknowledge anybody, just kept reading his paper.


This was his view:



Further down the road, we came to this place. Having tried to learn a little Gaelic before we left--with limited success, but honest effort--I did actually know how to pronounce it! :)


I know I keep saying this, but it was just incredibly beautiful! We didn't specifically intend to hike this particular trail, but just came upon it and it looked interesting! It was more difficult than it looks, but the view from the top was worth it.



Doing this blog makes me miss Scotland terribly! I think I'm meant to live there one day. :)

1 Comments:

At 9/11/2008, Blogger Reillybug said...

Thanks for sharing all your pictures, I am just DYING to go

 

Post a Comment

<< Home