Bees!
We have bees! For the last year or so, I've been trying to find someone who would be a "bee mentor" for me and help me set up some hives at the farm. Actually, truth be told, this wasn't strictly my idea. I'm actually allergic to bees and have no desire to croak, but I have been assured that I will most likely remain very much croak-free as long as I am careful and carry an epi-pen, so here we are: Our hives!
A very nice lady named Ellen has agreed to *bee* a mentor (harhar...oh, stop...you know you thought that was sorta funny) and yesteday she came and set up 2 hives. We now have approx. 20,000 bees in residence. Ellen told me that our particular bees are known for bee-ing (that's the last bee pun...promise!) very mellow and relaxed since I am a nervous bee novice. She'll come to the farm every week or so at first to help me get the hang of things, then I'll be on my own for their maintenance. It's all sort of exciting, really. Bees are rather fascinating!
I think it'll be sort of fun...once I get more brave, I'll actually get close enough to take some proper pictures of the bees in action.

2 Comments:
You're brave - just don't forget that epi pen. Not even once.
Bee beees beeeeeessssss!!! I am so jealous! We are in the process of arranging a mead-drinking evening with the guy who runs the local apiary. He is going to teach us the ropes. I have wanted bees for 20 years! Yay for you! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home