AmyLand

Thursday, May 18, 2006

3 years old...really???






I can't believe it, but Truman turned 3 years old on May 7th! My little dumpling is now a big, lovely goofy grown-up! He's the first puppy I ever raised, and although I had many people tell me what a silly idea it was to get a pup (so much work, such a hassle, etc.) and some were even angry at me for buying a pup, I've had the best time with True!

Truman was born 4 days after sweet Charlotte died, and although when she died I had no intention of getting a puppy...I was going to wait patiently for a German Shep. puppy...but Charlotte and the rest of the bridge gang had other ideas! One night at dog class with Archie the trainer jokingly said "Amy, I know you like hairy dogs, want a collie pup? I know someone who has a litter....". Of course I had to call the breeder!! Before I called, I told myself I'd only pursue it if there was a tri-colored female available in the litter. No exceptions...that's all I wanted. Period. Well, the breeder did still have a tri female...a little girl she called Cria. I went to visit the next day. The breeder brought Cria out to see me and I immediately (I mean, instantly) knew she wasn't my puppy...and she knew it too. I was so disappointed, but I knew Cria and I weren't a match. Then the breeder went around a corner of her house to the puppy yard and let all of the pups come visit. 9 puppies all ran over to see their sister and greet their guests...I've never seen anything so cute as that tumble of collie puppies!! But that only made 10 pups, and I knew there had been 11 in the litter...I was debating about asking about #11 (if the pup had died or something, I didn't want to make the breeder sad...) when a big, super-fluffy blue puppy came ambling around the corner, yawning and smiling. He came right over to me, looked up into my face and sat on my foot. The breeder laughed and said "Oh, that's Truman...he's pretty laid back" THIS was my puppy!! It turned out, though, that he was to be a "show puppy" and already had 3 people on his waiting list..among them the owner of his daddy, who had pick of the litter. I was disappointed, and tried again to convince myself that Cria could be mine. But...nope. I gave the breeder my number...just in case...and left. I was way more upset than I really ought to have been, considering that this had been a bit of a whim in the first place. I spent several days moping around feeling sorry for myself.

Then the breeder called me and asked if I was still interested in Truman...all of the show people had decided that his markings weren't "correct"...he has one all-black hip and apparently there was fear that that'd detract from his appearance in the show ring...and he was now available for a "pet home". The rest, as they say, is history! :)

It's not all been easy. Truman had a lot of pretty serious medical stuff to overcome, along with the usual "teenage butthead syndrome" but really, it's been mostly great. He is the sweetest dog (save Charlotte) I've ever known, and is such an earnest and well-meaning dude. He gets along with everyone and everything. He's taken on the job of looking after The Littles (my 2 elderly pekes) and makes sure they're safe from fox and owls and hawks when they're outside. He patiently allows Violet (my semi-nuts Siamese) to batter his poor tail and leap on on his head. He, Levi & Archie (The Bigs) are a great team...although True is always the one who ends up looking like the guilty party whenever they're naughty! He's funny and smart and, well, true. And now he's 3 YEARS OLD!!! Wow!

Lucky lucky me!

3 Comments:

At 5/18/2006, Blogger Crowzma said...

Happy Birthday, Truman, my favorite-dog-whom-I've-never-met. You're my idea of the perfect galoot. (I believe I live with your doppelganger....)

 
At 5/19/2006, Blogger Knatolee said...

Oh my, happy birthday you ever-so-handsome devil!!! Lots of treats for you!

 
At 6/23/2006, Blogger sibtigre2 said...

Happy Belated Birthday Truman!!! Your Mom sure is lucky to have you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home