AmyLand

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Bee Fortress




Since we have at least one bear who moseys around the farm, and since the bee hives are pretty far from any of the dwellings, we had to erect a fortress around the bees.










Ellen The Bee Lady laughed at our bee enclosure and said something about "overkill" and "bee palace" but I just want the bees to be safe! And no, contrary to what others have said, I do not plan to knit little bee hats and scarves in the winter, nor will I splint little broken bee legs or have bee funerals for each bee...but I don't want a bear to get them, either!


As for the bees, they seem to be settling in nicely. We had some die, but I guess that's normal (no, no bee funerals, see above) but they have started gathering and are very industrious. I'm still learning to be more brave around them, and will post better pictures soon.

2 Comments:

At 6/03/2008, Blogger Crowzma said...

Are you sure a bear can't get through that? I wouldn't be ...

but your bees are lucky, and I think you'll start to relax around them quickly enough.

Just carry that EPI-pen!!!

 
At 6/03/2008, Blogger amy said...

Well, there is a strand of electric wire every 4 inches from the ground up, and the charger is set to "high"...we'll just have to see, I guess! The idea is that the bear will come in with his nose close to the ground and get a good zap on his nose. We shall see....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home